The benefits of a strong safety culture within businesses are well documented and well known but as we finish another week (where is the summer going?!), the team at Riskex have taken some time out to reflect on why Safety should be a core business value for all organisations.
Core business values are essentially fundamental beliefs that a company is committed to upholding. Surely sending workers home safe and well each day features at the top of that list? Building a strong safety culture relies upon fostering Safety as a core business value to help build a sense of unity and belonging within a company.
What should business leaders consider when committing to making Safety a core business value?
First and foremost, leading by example. Safety starts at the top! Leaders and managers should prioritise safety and follow all safety guidelines and procedures themselves. When employees see their superiors taking safety seriously, they are more likely to do the same. How can Leaders demonstrate they take safety seriously?
There is no better way to show employees your commitment than having visible safety conversations, both in group and individual settings. Opportunities present leaders every day – here are some ideas our team have come up with to get the conversation going:
- Record a video on your personal commitment to safety to use in inductions
- Create “my personal commitment” posters for use in the workplace from each board member and team leader
- Carry out “Leadership walk arounds” where you accompany team leaders and auditors on safety inspections
- Ask the question at the coffee machine: What do you think I can do to help make your workday safer or healthier?
Committing to improving safety in the workplace starts with a question or promise.
What are you going to do today to uphold your safety commitment in the workplace?
- Writing Engaging Health & Safety Management Reports 28/11/2023
- How to Support Diabetics’ Wellbeing in the Workplace 28/11/2023
- Winter Driving Tips For Employees 28/11/2023
100 Avebury Boulevard
Central Milton Keynes